Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find out the zoning district for my property?
You may call either the Planning Department at 283-2605 or the Assessors at 283-2607 with your property address. You can also stop in at either department if it's more convenient. The Planning Department has more details on minimum lot sizes and frontages for building lots.

Who do I call to find out if I need a permit?
The Building Inspector can help you with your questions.They can be reached at 413-283-2638. If current zoning and dimensions allow your use by right (for swimming pools, garages, sheds, etc.), they will be able to assist you with permitting. Sometimes you may be required to go before the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Appeals for your permit. If so, please call the Planning Department if you have any questions.

How do I get a copy of the current zoning or subdivision regulations?
They are available in the Planning Department offices. Zoning Bylaws are $35; Subdivision Regulations are $35. Zoning By-Laws are on our website. Subdivision Regulations will also be available on the website soon.