Burning Permit Season - January 15 - May 1
Please complete the below form to apply for an Open Burning Permit. Approved Burning Permits may be picked up the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month from 8:30 am to noon or by appointment. Appointments may be made by phone at 413-283-9036 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Homeowners are required to renew permits annually.
Payment of $10.00 is due upon receipt of your burning permit. Payment must be made by check. The Bondsville Fire Department does not accept cash or debit/credit cards.
OPEN BURNING REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILTIES
Only Certain Materials Can Be Burned
• Brush, cane, driftwood, and forestry debris from other than commercial or industrial land
• Agricultural materials such as fruit tree and bush prunings, raspberry stalks, and infected
bee hives for disease control.
• Trees and brush resulting from agricultural land clearing.
• Fungus infected elm wood, if no other acceptable means of disposal is available.
Burning Leaves and Other Materials Is Prohibited
• Brush, trees, cane and driftwood from commercial and/or industrial land clearing operations.
• Grass, hay, leaves, stumps, and tires.
• Construction material and debris.
According to Department of Environmental Protection regulation (310 CMR DEP 7.07), open burning must be:
EACH day of Burning you MUST:
- A minimum of 75 feet from all buildings
- Conducted between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. from January 15 to May 1
- Take place on the land closest to the source of material to be burned.
- You must also be sure air quality conditions are acceptable for burning by calling the Massachusetts DEP Air Quality Hotline at (617) 556-1021 or by visiting the MassAir Online website at http://public.dep. state.ma.us/MassAir.
The Fire Chief maintains the right to revoke or cancel any permits due to high forest fire danger or to deny a permit to any person who he/she believes will not follow the Open Burning Requirements and Responsibilities or to any person who has violated these requirements in the past. Whomever violates any provision of 527 CMR shall be punished by a fine of not more than $500 plus the cost of suppression or by imprisonment for not more than one (1) month.
- Call 413.283.9036 to activate your permit. This must be done between 9 a.m. and noon.
- When requested, leave your name and permit number
- Have fire extinguishing materials on hand including a water supply, shovels and rakes. The water supply can be a pressurized water fire extinguisher, a pump can or a garden hose. Test the water source before igniting the fire. You do not want to find out that the water is off or that the hose is cracked when you need it.
- Fire must be attended at all times
- Extinguish the fire fully by 4 p.m.